Asheville’s own epicure of the obscure will be leading a benefit wild mushroom hunt for friends and members of the WNC Alliance! There are over 3000 varieties of mushrooms and other wild edibles in WNC, many not only edible but incredible. You’ll learn how to safely find, identify, appreciate, and savor these forest treats. It will be a short, easy walk on flat terrain; all ages welcome. Then we’ll cook up any edibles we find. Yummm!
Since 1995, Muskat has persuaded thousands to sample rather than trample the toadstools. This stand-up mycomedian has popped up on Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern, PBS Folkways, and The History Channel, and in Country Living, The New Yorker and at The Biltmore Estate.
Known as “the Mushroom Man” to thousands of fungi fans, Alan Muskat demystifies the art of mushroom hunting in Western North Carolina. A graduate of Princeton University, he’s the author of “Wild Mushrooms: A Taste of Enchantment,” and currently serves on the faculty of Asheville’s Appalachian School of Holistic Herbalism. He supplies nearly 400 pounds of mushrooms a year to more than 30 local clients including Biltmore, The Grove Park Inn and The Richmond Hill Inn. For more info visit No Taste Like Home.
- Who: WNCA hosts renowned forager Alan Muskat
- What: Wild foods/mushroom hunt and tasting
- When: Sunday July 29th, 2012 — 9:30am-12:30pm.
- Where: The woods near Candler, NC
- Cost: $35 members/$45 non-members - includes Muskat’s celebrated e-book, Wild Mushrooms: A Taste of Enchantment, a one-year membership in WNCA (for non-members), food and drink.
Space is limited so register early by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or call (828) 258-8737 for more info.