If you’re looking for the best dryer sheets for static cling, take a look at our recommendations instead of buying a random box.
Whether you’re looking for something natural, scented, unscented, for sensitive skin, for baby clothes, or something else, this is the list for you.
You’ll have less wrinkles and static, as well as your clothes will feel soft and lush.
Our Top Picks
10 Best Dryer Sheets for Static Cling
Our top 10 best dryer sheets are based on hours of research, expert advice, and our own usage habits.
1. Bounce Plus Febreze Dryer Sheets
You don’t have to suffer from stinky odors anymore with Bounce Plus Febreze dryer sheets!
As you move, the dryer sheets will activate Odor Defense Technology, which fights bad odors, even from sportswear. That means that your sweaty and smelly gym clothes will be fresh again. In fact, technology activates as you move. Once you start sweating on the treadmill, the technology has already started neutralizing the odor.
The sheets soften clothes, eliminate wrinkles, and neutralize odors. They also repel lint and hair, so your clothes will look better when they come out of the dryer.
It could be the day that everything changes if you’ve tried lots of dryer sheets without finding one that quite meets your expectations.
- Neutralizes odors with motion-activated technology.
- Softens clothes, stops static and eliminates wrinkles.
- Repels lint and hair.
- Ideal for sportswear.
- Not compostable.
- Not hypoallergenic or free from dyes or perfumes.
2. Bounce Fabric Softener and Dryer Sheets
With Bounce fabric softener and dryer sheets, pesky pet hair that clings to clothes will be a thing of the past.
You don’t need to worry about going to work with your labrador’s hair stuck to your suit jacket anymore thanks to this product.
It also controls static cling, softens fabrics, and works in all dryer types.
You will smell your clothes drying on a clothesline in the sunshine when you open your tumble dryer with these sheets.
- Repels pet hair and lint.
- Controls static cling and softens fabrics.
- Outdoor Fresh scent.
- Are great for multiple uses around the home, such as freshening up cat litter.
- Not eco-friendly.
- Sheets get stuck together.
3. Downy Fabric Softener Dryer Sheets
Our top pick for static cling is Downy fabric softener dryer sheets. Forget about opening the tumble dryer and finding socks, lint, and other garments stuck together.
However, when these sheets are used on their own, customers have praised their ability to completely eliminate static electricity. Downy recommends using liquid fabric softener to further prevent static electricity.
The scent of these dryer sheets is called April Fresh, and described as being a strong floral fragrance. These dryer sheets reduce static as well as leave your clothes smelling fresh.
It is important to remember that April Fresh contains synthetic fragrances, so there is a risk of skin allergies and respiratory problems.
- Reduces static cling well.
- Can be paired with fabric softener.
- Long-lasting April Fresh scent.
- Contains biodegradable cationic softeners.
- Includes artificial fragrances.
- Scent is overpowering for some.
4. Snuggle Exhilarations Fabric Softener Dryer Sheets
There are six different scents available for the Snuggle Exhilarations fabric softener dryer sheets. They are:
- White lavender & sandalwood.
- Blue iris & bamboo silk.
- Lavender & vanilla orchid.
- Blue iris & ocean breeze.
- Island hibiscus & rainflower.
- Cherry blossom.
It’s hard not to fall in love with one of these scents. For something sweet, try the white lavender & sandalwood; for something more refreshing, try the island hibiscus & rain flower.
If you have sensitive skin, be aware that these products do contain synthetic fragrances and may not be the best option for you.
As for static reduction and wrinkle reduction, the sheets also soften clothes and leave behind a long-lasting fragrance.
- Six lovely scent options.
- Effectively reduces static and wrinkles.
- You can put them in drawers or bags to freshen up clothes.
- Made using synthetic fragrances.
- May not be best for sensitive skin.
5. Seventh Generation Dryer Sheets, Free & Clear
It’s best to use unscented products if you have sensitive skin, asthma or allergies. Seventh Generation Free & Clear dryer sheets are the best choice for this purpose.
With no dyes and fragrances, they’re gentle on sensitive skin. Hypoallergenic and dermatologically tested, they will leave your clothes soft and static free.
Since Seventh Generation contains 97 percent plant-based ingredients, your choices are more natural. However, they are not compostable.
If you live anywhere cold, these dryer sheets are great for making your favorite sweaters as cozy as possible by reducing static cling.
- 97 percent natural ingredients.
- Zero dyes and fragrance for sensitive skin.
- Reduces static cling and makes clothes soft.
- Not compostable.
- Some customers find they get wadded up during the cycle.
6. Grab Green Natural Wet Dryer Sheets
You can still get soft, static-free clothes while being kind to the environment and your health with the Grab Green natural wet dryer sheets.
Dryer sheets without fragrances or dyes leave no residue on your clothes and make them soft and cozy.
In addition to being reusable, these sheets can be reused twice, giving you 64 sheets altogether. Once you’re finished using them, you can compost them for an extra eco-friendly solution.
It contains no phosphates, phthalates, animal by-products, toxins, dyes or masking agents, as well as being responsibly harvested and sustainably produced.
Although they’re great in the dryer, you can also use them to dust, remove pet hair, and quiet squeaky shoes.
- Free from fragrances, dyes, phosphates, toxins, and masking agents.
- They leave no residue on clothes.
- Soften clothes and remove static.
- Great for dusting, removing pet hair, and other household uses.
- If re-using on a big load, it doesn’t work too well.
- They don’t remove wrinkles.
7. all Fabric Softener Dryer Sheets
It’s hard to find laundry products that work for sensitive skin, but the all fabric softener dryer sheets should be an option if you want soft, cozy, static-free clothes.
The hypoallergenic, dye-free and perfume-free dryer sheets are free of irritating residue, making them ideal for sensitive skin.
You can join many happy customers by using Free & Clear fabric softener dryer sheets if you or someone in your family has sensitive skin.
Your clothes will be soft, wrinkle-free, and static-free when you use them.
- Free of dyes and fragrances.
- Hypoallergenic, they’re perfect for people with sensitive skin.
- Dermatologically tested.
- Leave clothes soft, static- and wrinkle-free.
- Wears down garments’ flame-resistant finishes.
- Not compostable.
8. Snuggle Fabric Softener Dryer Sheets
For those who are on a budget, we recommend the Snuggle fabric softener dryer sheets.
With these sheets, your clothes will be freshened and softened while wrinkles and static are reduced. You can also throw them in your closet, gym bag, suitcase or car to freshen things up.
For a fresh, clean, and long-lasting scent on your clothing, choose this option in the “Blue Sparkle” scent. This scent combines white florals, green citrus, wood, and musk.
Dryers sheets should not be used on flame-resistant garments, such as children’s sleepwear. They can cause the garment to lose its flame resistance.
- Softens, freshens, reduces static cling and wrinkles.
- Good for putting in bags, drawers, and shoes to fight odors.
- Beautiful, gentle scent.
- Wears down flame-resistant ability on garments.
- Not safe for pets.
9. Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day Dryer Sheets
Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day dryer sheets are recommended by many parents since babies have sensitive skin, which is why they use gentle products on their baby’s clothes.
Plant-derived ingredients make up this compostable dryer sheet. Aside from natural essential oils, fragrance is listed as an ingredient as well. Since this product is free of parabens, phthalates, and synthetic colors, it is a safe choice for baby clothes.
This paper towel comes in a charming honeysuckle scent that is gentle on clean clothes and comes with 80 sheets, so it lasts for a long time and is cost-effective.
- Made mainly from plant-derived ingredients.
- 80 sheets.
- Honeysuckle scent.
- Still includes artificial fragrance.
- Static cling is still an issue for many customers.
10. Echo Beach Tumbler Sheets
It’s possible for even hypoallergenic products to irritate your skin or trigger a reaction if you suffer from allergies. To eliminate that possibility, we recommend Echo Beach tumbler sheets.
It’s not only a safe and quality product, but you can also save money with these reusable dryer sheets.
They work quite like dryer balls without the clunky noise they cause. The sheets are chemical-free but can reduce static cling.
This dryer sheet works with any fabric, even microfiber, but we recommend air drying microfiber fabrics rather than using a machine.
I recommend this product if you have sensitive skin, allergies, or just want something unscented and reusable.
- They can be used 500 times.
- Saves money over time.
- Reduces static cling.
- It is not as effective as conventional dryer sheets in removing static electricity.
- It takes time for many customers to get better, but they do.
Are Dryer Sheets Harmful?
It isn’t good for us or the environment to use dryer sheets.
In the first place, most of these products are disposable and single-use, so once they’ve been used, they end up in landfill. Thankfully, we have some compostable options in development, so keep an eye out for them!
It is also important to note that dryer sheets contain harmful fragrance chemicals, quaternary ammonium compounds, and sometimes, acetone, all of which can cause asthma attacks, headaches, and dizziness.
However, dryer sheets also have many benefits:
- They prevent static cling: You can reduce dust, hair, and lint on your clothes by using dryer sheets.
- They make clothes smell good: It is not uncommon for dryer sheets to be scented, which can leave your clothes smelling pleasant.
- They soften your clothes: It’s not hard to find dryer sheets with fabric softeners, like fatty acids, if you’re looking for lush, cozy clothes.
- They’re versatile: A dryer sheet can be used to dust, freshen up drawers, clean an iron, and remove static from hair.
It’s up to you whether or not you use dryer sheets, but keep the hazards in mind.
Which Is Better: Fabric Softener or Dryer Sheets?
Although they work in similar ways – softening clothes, reducing static, and removing wrinkles – they function in somewhat different ways.
The fabric softener is mixed with water in the wash cycle, so it might be able to distribute better throughout the clothes. However, since many fabrics cannot tolerate fabric softener, staining may occur. In microfiber, for example, fabric softener can ruin its absorbing properties, so you should never use it.
Before the dryer cycle, dryer sheets are added directly to the drum with the clothes. During the drying process, stearic acids are melted down, which coats the clothes and softens them. Likewise, dryer sheets are not suitable for fabrics such as microfiber, water-repellent clothes, or towels.
There’s only one difference between these two products: how they’re used. Whether you prefer using a dryer sheet or a softener comes down to personal preference.
Things to Consider (Buying Guide)
Look for these important details when shopping for dryer sheets to reduce static cling in your home.
In general, dryer sheets are intended to soften clothes, eliminate static, and eliminate wrinkles. But some also have scent or odor elimination properties. Depending on what you need the sheets for, you can buy sheets that are ideal for removing pet hair or those ideal for allergy sufferers.
On our list of eco-friendly dryer sheets, we have many that use plant-based ingredients and essential oils to scent their products. We always recommend prioritizing eco-friendly products. Also, look for dryer sheets that are reusable or compostable, so you won’t be putting them in the landfill.
There are, however, some dryer sheets that aren’t eco-friendly, which means if you want the best results, you might have to sacrifice your dryer sheets’ eco-friendliness.
Especially if you have asthma, allergies, or sensitive skin, choose an unscented and hypoallergenic dryer sheet. The fragrance oils and chemicals in certain dryer sheets can trigger these conditions, especially if you suffer from asthma. Furthermore, they can make your laundry feel super uncomfortable.
Value for Money
You can determine what you’re getting by looking at the cost per sheet when shopping for dryer sheets. Generally, eco-friendly and natural dryer sheets are more expensive. However, since you’re paying for natural, sustainable dryer sheets, you’ll receive good value for money. If you’re on a budget, we have plenty of options to choose from.
In addition, consider the fragrance. Some are unscented, some are naturally scented, while others use fragrance oils. If you have allergies or asthma, we recommend choosing the unscented option. We have a lot of scented laundry options, so you’ve come to the right place!
Dryer Sheet Alternatives
You can find many alternatives to dryer sheets if you’re concerned about the impact they have on the environment or your health.
What Can Be Used in Place of Dryer Sheets?
Here are a few amazing alternatives to dryer sheets:
- You may not need dryer sheets or fabric softeners if your water is soft and you use a natural detergent.
- You should hang your clothes to dry.
- With your clothes in the tumble dryer, soak a washcloth in white vinegar first.
- Dryer balls are eco-friendly, reusable, and natural alternatives to dryer sheets. Smart Sheep wool dryer balls are our favorite!
- Add aluminum foil to the drum with your wet clothes before drying them.
- It is also possible to make your own dryer sheets.
Are Dryer Balls Bad for Your Dryer?
There’s no need to worry! Many people think that dryer balls do damage because they bounce and bang around. But if your machine is less than 10 years old or doesn’t have paint inside the drum, dryer balls won’t damage it.
Can You Use Dryer Sheets In a Front-Load Dryer?
If you have a front-load dryer, use dryer sheets to scent your laundry. Simply put the dryer sheet in with the laundry and turn it on.
Can Dryer Sheets Cause Stains?
Leaving dryer sheets in one place too long can cause stains on your laundry. As they heat up, the fabric softener releases chemicals that cause blemishes.
Do Dryer Sheets Ruin Towels?
The chemicals in dryer sheets can damage towels, decreasing their absorbency. Instead, use aluminum foil balls in the dryer.
What Dryer Sheet Has Strongest Scent?
The strongest scent is found in Snuggle Exhilarations Dryer Sheets. They can be stored in drawers and wardrobes as well as reducing static and wrinkles.
What Makes Dryer Sheets Toxic?
Dryer sheets contain several toxic chemicals that adhere to your laundry and transfer to your skin when you wear them.
Freshen and Soften
As well as freshening your clothes and softening them, dryer sheets reduce static, so they save you time when sorting out laundry. If you’re lucky, they’ll reduce wrinkles, as well, so you’ll have less ironing to do.
When it comes to dryer sheets, be aware of their toxic and environmental side effects. If you have sensitive skin, we recommend Seventh Generation Free & Clear sheets, Grab Green sheets, or Echo Beach tumbler sheets.
Among our top picks for getting rid of tough odors and softening clothes, we recommend the Bounce Plus Febreze Dryer Sheets.